Learn to Play
Professor Karen Stagnitti
(world renowned play therapist)
Toowoomba Golf Club Middle Ridge
235 – 323 Rowbotham Street, Middle Ridge, QLD, 4350
Thursday 17th – Friday 18th January 2019, 830am – 430pm
Learn to Play Therapy aims to develop the capacity in children to self-initiate their own pretend play. Being able to play is essential to children because through play children learn bout themselves and their world. Pretend play is complex play and research evidence has shown that children who develop more complex levels of pretend play increase in their abilities in social competence, narrative language, language, self regulation, creativity, and problem solving. Not all children develop complex levels of pretend play. Reasons for this can be the child’s diagnosis (for example, children on the autism spectrum have difficulty developing spontaneous pretend play), the child’s environment, or no obvious reason.
Seats are limited – book now to avoid disappointment.
- The development of pretend play
- Pretend play and links to language, narrative, social skills, self-regulation and self-esteem.
- Assessment of pretend play using the Pretend Play Enjoyment Developmental Checklist.
- How to identify children who would benefit from Learn to Play Therapy
- The process and principles of Learn to Play Therapy
- The 11 key play skills and how to build them in children who find playing difficult
The workshop includes case studies, video analysis and practice of the key skills involved in the process of Learn to Play Therapy. A past participant described the workshop as, “Possibly the best training I’ve ever been to! Practical, engaging, relevant to lots of children I work with. I’ll apply and use this info every day.”
Valuable for Speech Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Early Childhood Educators, Teachers, Social Workers, Psychologists and Early Intervention Workers who work with families with children <8 years old who have a developmental delay. Introductory level – no prior training required.
COST $660 per person
Registrations close 03/01/19 or when sold out